Discovery Data Blog
Key Milestones for Data-Driven Asset Management Distribution
September 22, 2021
Asset managers, and more specifically their marketing and wholesaling teams, have never needed data more than they do today to meet their distribution goals. Whether they are trying to diversify their investor-base, penetrate desirable new channels like RIAs or family offices, or simply keep pace in the distributed, digital-first marketplace, asset managers need actionable data now more than ever.
Forward-looking asset managers have been on this path for the last 10 years, but the COVID-19 pandemic has made this imperative acute for everyone in the space.
In this blog, you will learn how asset managers are driving digital advisor engagement and how to get on the road to distribution with three key milestones.
Milestone 1: Build a foundation.
- Ensure you have accurate firm and contact demographic data on your targeted decision makers—keyed by both the rep and firm CRD numbers.
- Integrate your data into Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software to centrally store contact information and interactions with your prospects and customers.
- Engage in regular data cleansing routines at least annually to ensure your rep and firm data is up-to-date and you are capturing rep movement, as well as new reps and firms.
- Partner with a financial services industry data provider to eliminate manual effort and access the most trusted and accurate data available.
Milestone 2: Make it personal.
- Segment your data into meaningful, actionable segments based on key business criteria including location, firm type, AUM, average account size, investments strategies, and more.
- Leverage your data to personalize outreach with the right context and timely, relevant content. Emails and calls that show that you know them are more likely to get noticed and lead to a conversation than the standard cold call for a check-in.
- Iterate and learn by categorizing and recording interactions and outcomes to better understand the content, outreach, and product preferences of your prospects and customers, improving your personalization over time.
- Partner with a professional marketing services team to kick-start your personalized distribution initiatives, from fund launches to capital raising, to penetrating new sales channels.
Milestone 3: Get intentional.
- Prioritize your segments and individual prospects with lead scoring informed by both your demographic and behavioral data to make your outreach more efficient.
- Monitor behavioral trends over time and validate against fund flow data to guide development of marketing content, shape sales outreach, and inform product strategy.
- Make your distribution efforts faster and smarter by taking advantage of intent data to predict what your target financial advisors might do next and get in front of them with the right message at the right time.
- Use behavioral intent data and cutting-edge analytics and insights platforms to quickly deploy these tactics.
Wrapping Up: Data is the pathway to success in this digital-first ecosystem.
From investor diversification to distribution efforts, asset managers are only beginning to navigate the nuances of this new era. Trends in the marketplace indicate increased criticality surrounding access and strategic use of actionable, digital-friendly data.
From strategy to execution Discovery Data powers your distribution efforts and turns insights into inbound investment dollars. Contact us to learn more about how we can help your digital distribution strategy.
Discovery Data Resources:
Solutions: Industry - Asset Management
Solutions: Use Case - Raise Capital
Discovery Data Blog: Three Key Reasons Why Asset Data Isn’t Enough to Drive Revenue
Discovery Data Blog: Using Data Science to Empower Sales and Marketing While Driving Revenue
The Data Possible Podcast: Developing Strategy With Behavioral Data
Datasets: Financial Services, Insurance, Diversity & Inclusion, Intent Signals, Interests & Lifestyle